Sunday, November 7, 2010

FFN Aftermath: Convenience vs. Conscience

           Fast Food Nation has completely made me re-think of my preference for fast food when eating out.  The new information, which I have learned from this book, made me look differently at a hamburger.  After reading Chapter 5 and onwards, I actually have not ordered a hamburger since.  Since I don’t know how to cook, I have told my husband that we must buy our ground beef and make our own patties, if we must eat burgers.  Home-cooked meals are now encouraged in my household.

            The horrendous conditions concerning high school student-workers in fast food chains and of the workers in the slaughterhouses and meatpacking companies were still vivid in my memory.  The infection of cattle and the outbreak of E. coli are conditions that should call for the government’s stricter enforcement of food safety laws.

            Our eating habits have been molded by the proliferation of the fast food restaurants.  These habits, however, have resulted in serious health risks – obesity, cancers, heart conditions, diabetes and strokes.  As I have now become aware of these issues, I am making a conscious decision to vote on any bill, proposition or measure to address them.  Come election time, I will now pay more attention to the candidates who places the fast food industry and all the concerns discussed in the book as a major component in their political agendas.

            Overall though, I still think it remains a choice.  It is up to us, adults, to protect our children from the hazards of the fast food movement.  And every choice has its consequences.

For me, it is a battle of convenience vs. conscience and I choose the latter.

6 comments:

  1. I agree...I used to eat fast food as a matter of convenience....you know, too lazy to cook, or too tired. Since reading FFN, I have totally cut out fast food from my diet....ok, I still stop for egg Mcmuffins...but I'm breaking that too. Even my girlfriend has cut out fast foods when we go out to eat....mainly because I won't eat them...but even she agrees that they are not good for us...good post....and insight.....peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be a constant battle with my children by not feeding them fast food. But I know that I will have made a difference in their health as they grow older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since reading this book I've also had close to no fast food which is pretty hard since i work at a pizza place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the meatpacking chapters were the toughest for me! Thanks for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great that you're considering the health of your children as well as yourself. It really does come down to whats most convenient vs your conscience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think about the book everytime i pass a fast food restaurant.

    ReplyDelete