Monday, November 29, 2010

What We Eat is Killing Us?

I had a "revealing" experience watching and listening to the three TED lectures which dealt mainly on food, fast food in particular.  Mark Bittman, Ann Cooper and Jamie Oliver all presented the evil that is in junk food which is almost killing our children and polluting our environment (Bittman).  

They all used staggering statistics which literally scared the crap out of me.  In 18 minutes, 4 Americans dies of diet-related diseases.  USA is the most unhealthy nation in the world.  Diet-related illnesses are the number one killers in the nation.  Most moving is the picture of a 19-year old woman, severely obese, and has only 6 years to live.  The visuals of coffins made me just close my eyes, almost in tears.  They illustrated and presented some shocking revelations and heart-moving truths.

What is going on?  Are we slowly killing our children and this is being supported by our government? Must we just move on and take in everything that they serve us just because it is convenient?

Inspiring enough, the three speakers provide us with a clear-cut solutions which they admittedly think are "easier said than done." Cooper is adamant about schools creating a healthy menu for the lunches.  Oliver's project is to set up shop in each school where children will be taught how to cook healthy food. 

I know that junk food is not all that healthy, and I do eat it.  But after listening to them and remembering what I have learned on Fast Food Nation, I am seriously considering revamping my diet and heed to Mark Bittman's advice:  Less meat, less junk, more plants.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah, it is so true that people are getting sick and dying. I was shocking to see the 16 year old girl that had 6 years to live, and it makes people open their eyes on the dangers of fast food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What really catch my eye was that a lot of kids would be insulin depended by the time they graduated from high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rowena I am eating more plants too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you my friend. Less meat, less junk, and more rabbit food (I mean plants).lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing those coffins made it more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately my eating habits are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes everything they shared was mood changing. It made me think twice about what I eat. It's sad to see that kids are hurting. Great blog tho!! And like Giovanna said, seeing the coffin, was scary!! The pillow looks like the body pilow I have. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. That coffins thing was really shocking! I thought like OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i too am thinking about changing the way i eat

    ReplyDelete