Saturday, September 4, 2010

The REAL score on TV

Reality TV shows have mushroomed into unbelievable proportions.  The themes have ranged from finding the love of your life (The Bachelor/Bachelorette) to changing lifestyles (Wife Swap) to changing lives (Extreme Makeover series).  There are shows that caught my interest but I must say that most of them disgust me in more ways than one (Jon & Kate, Kardashians, Jershey Shore, Real Housewives of OC/New York/New Jersey).

With the limited time I have for TV viewing, I am drawn to some reality shows that have positive messages.  Why do these shows have so much viewership?  I think the fact that we could identify easily with the characters and believe the emotions that are expressed make these shows interesting.  A lot of them go overboard though.

Among all the reality TV shows I have watched, I must applaud one though... "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition."  At the end of the show where they reveal the NEW house after a week, I always cry.  The look of joy, awe and happiness in those families were all real and spontaneous.  The message of hope is evident in every episode of this show.

Some shows have gone extreme though.  Vulgar scenes and obscene language are not appropriate for television where young people, especially young children, might be watching.  These shows may be causing some erosion in our society's moral values.  These TV shows could be considered as culprits to our cities' growing crime rates - rape, murder, robbery, prostitution, and the like.

As like any issue in our lives, the viewing of reality TV shows has its pros and cons.  It is up to us, the viewing public, to decide whether to make these shows affect our lives and how we live them... IT IS ALWAYS A CHOICE.

8 comments:

  1. I like your outlook on reality t.v. and television in general. It is always our choice to view the programs we watch and what we take from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right about the fact that these shows are bad for young kids. And i agree that it is our choice on what we watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog on Reality Shows. It is true that Reality TV has gone out of control at times but there are moments when some shows are good for the mind as well as the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the show should tone it down a bit with what they do because kids do watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That list you made of all the bad reality shows was perfect. It's like who really cares about rich people not getting what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is basically the only show my dad is willing to watch with me. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didnt stop to think about the positive shows that might be out there. Thank you for helping broaden my perspective on the matter :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rowena,
    Wonderful blog...... You always know the good shows to watch such as Extreme Makeover. I just do not agree with shows like "Jersey Shores" and "The Hills". Hopefully, reality tv producers will show something tasteful next time around.

    ReplyDelete