Thursday, September 9, 2010

Please text responsibly

In this ever growing technology, the telephone has evolved into the most effective way to communicate.  With your cellphone, you can virtually and literally do anything and everything - call, get online, check and send emails, play your favorite video game, video-chat with your family and of course, write and send text messages.
Texting has formed a whole new way of spelling words and forming sentences.  In some, I thought it was a whole different language.  The message sometimes become misunderstood or misinterpreted.  At most, the texting boom has corrupted the English language.

Another concern of mine is texting while driving.  I have seen people who have no consideration of their safety and that of others when they start texting while on the road.  So many accidents have been reported that were caused by texting while driving.  I think this is worse than driving drunk or asleep.

Nowadays though, texting has been the only form of communication which I get immediate response from my three sons, who are all at UCSB. They all have cellphones but there's always a reason why they will not answer nor return my calls. But if I send them a text message, it's not even two minutes and I get a response! For me, this is the only thing positive about texting.

6 comments:

  1. Staying in touch with family is a good reason to text! And a good way for children to avoid long conversations with their parents..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you when you say that the only positive thing about texting is to stay in touch with your children!!! My twelve year old son wants a cell phone sooo bad... but all I think of how kids are today, and how they abuse that privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right about the destruction of the english language. You can type three letters into your phone and that's a whole sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like that texting of college students! It works with my son as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on the getting in touch with your children. They do respond quickly with texting than by phone call.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very true about missing a call but replying back to a text.i do that a lot

    ReplyDelete