Sunday, October 10, 2010

Should marijuana laws be relaxed? (CQ Researcher)

Which position on this debate do I choose?  I choose the "con" side.

Paul Armentano presented a very compelling argument in his "pro" article.  He had mentioned of the dollar amounts costing the government to arrest and prosecute people involved with the use and sale of marijuana.  His story of Scott Bryant being shot and killed in front of his 7-year old son was a horrific scene in my mind.  I disagree though on his view that Bryant was a victim of marijuana prohibition.  I must say that he was a victim of police brutality being shot and killed unarmed.

However, we cannot overlook the powerful presentation of Dr. Robert L. DuPont of the harmful effects of marijuana use to the user, and more so to the public in general.  To a user, there are the health risks of cancer, schizophrenia, anxiety and panic attacks, paranoia and breathing problems.  To the public, in addition to health hazards caused by inhaling marijuana smoke, second hand, marijuana intoxication can cause more accidents and some, if not most, might end in tragedies.

From a personal view, I know first hand, that prolonged marijuana use has long-lasting effects on an individual.  Behaviors are altered for the worst and judgments are negatively affected.  It is an addiction that I have seen my cousin go through...

More than 10 years ago, I was an active participant in an "intervention" planned out for my cousin.  He needed help to fight his marijuana addiction.  It was a moving experience for me and I was touched by the outpouring of love for him.  His daughter, ex-wife, dad, mom, 2 sisters, 2 brothers, 5 best friends, and 25 cousins showed up to this "life-saving" event.  Everyone of us read letters of love and how afraid we all were for his health and welfare.  But the effects of marijuana have made him ignore ALL of us and he blatantly denied his addiction and refused rehabilitation.  He had broken our hearts and we all felt helpless.  We were all so sad that day.  For me, he was like a totally different person from the sweet, loving and caring cousin that I knew for more than 30 years.  Three weeks later, I was informed that he was arrested for mail fraud.  He had engaged in this criminal activity with his so-called "friends" just to fund and maintain his marijuana addiction.  He was released on probation after a year of serving his 2 year sentence.

My cousin's addiction had started from just a brief experimental session with marijuana when he was younger.  That brief session turned into regular pot sessions and ultimately into a full-blown addiction.

Ask me again... should marijuana laws be relaxed?  ABSOLUTELY NOT! 

4 comments:

  1. I’m sorry to hear about your cousin, I hope he decides to get the help he need to change his life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a smoker but you can never be addicted to Marijuana it might be habit forming not addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel sorry for these individuals that believe that marijuana will not effect them in any way. They will not learn until it is too late. ):

    ReplyDelete